This article articulates the details of the rating system we will be using for public figures in terms of their apparent inclinations to transhumanist thought. That is not to say that anyone of the people we rate are actual transhumanists, or that they identify as such, but when it comes to aligning to our values there is a clear correlation.
One of the problems with a rating system like this is that it is subjective. What is even transhumanist is not agreed upon, but that said there is a transhumanist declaration that we can use as our guiding principles for this somewhat subjective assessment. On each point, we will rate someone on a scale of 1 to 10 and some additional points at the end to create a 100-point scale. It is subjective but gives us a good idea of where they stand in terms of the Transhumanist agenda.
The declaration is as follows:
- Humanity stands to be profoundly affected by science and technology in the future. We envision the possibility of broadening human potential by overcoming aging, cognitive shortcomings, involuntary suffering, and our confinement to planet Earth.
- We believe that humanity’s potential is still mostly unrealized. There are possible scenarios that lead to wonderful and exceedingly worthwhile enhanced human conditions.
- We recognize that humanity faces serious risks, especially from the misuse of new technologies. There are possible realistic scenarios that lead to the loss of most, or even all, of what we hold valuable. Some of these scenarios are drastic, others are subtle. Although all progress is change, not all change is progress.
- Research effort needs to be invested into understanding these prospects. We need to carefully deliberate how best to reduce risks and expedite beneficial applications. We also need forums where people can constructively discuss what should be done, and a social order where responsible decisions can be implemented.
- Reduction of existential risks, and development of means for the preservation of life and health, the alleviation of grave suffering, and the improvement of human foresight and wisdom should be pursued as urgent priorities, and heavily funded.
- Policy making ought to be guided by responsible and inclusive moral vision, taking seriously both opportunities and risks, respecting autonomy and individual rights, and showing solidarity with and concern for the interests and dignity of all people around the globe. We must also consider our moral responsibilities towards generations that will exist in the future.
- We advocate the well-being of all sentience, including humans, non-human animals, and any future artificial intellects, modified life forms, or other intelligences to which technological and scientific advance may give rise.
- We favor allowing individuals wide personal choice over how they enable their lives. This includes use of techniques that may be developed to assist memory, concentration, and mental energy; life extension therapies; reproductive choice technologies; cryonics procedures; and many other possible human modification and enhancement technologies.
[end of published declaration:]
If you rate someone on a scale of 1 to 10 for each one that gives us a possible score of 80 so we are adding two more values. The first one we added is number 9 and is asking if they identify publicly as transhumanist and the next time or item 10 is asking “do they ‘act’ actively on their transhumanist beliefs?” A matrix or rubric looks like this:
|How Transhuman Are They|
|1. Overcoming short comings||0|
|2. Unrealized potential||0|
|3. Acceptance of Risk Factors||2|
|4. Need for Research||2|
|5. Risk Reduction||1|
|6. Sound Policy Making||2|
|7. Universal Wellbeing||0|
|8. Personal Freedom||5|
|9. Openly Transhumanist||0|
|10. Taking Action on the Above||0|
|Total out of 100 Possible:||12|
So, this gives you a clear rating for how transhuman someone is or appears to be on a scale of 1 to 100. In the rubric above you can see a scored example of 12 for a total score so this person would be not really much of a transhumanist. But keep in mind this rating system is for fun and discussion and not any kind of technical measure.
Transhumanist Declaration is Found here: https://humanityplus.org/philosophy/transhumanist-declaration/
This Blog Post Powered by Transhumanity.net